Friday, March 13, 2009

Golden Oldies Dubbo - July 2008 - Part One

Above: I can't remember what McCutcheon's Superliner delivered but I was kneeling on the edge of the oval with a low sun behind me as she reversed passed. The sun broke through the clouds and highlighted the golden Mack. Right place and right time and the result is one of my favourite photos from the weekend.

It's not often I get to put some of my own photos in the magazine or blog so here's a good excuse to do so. My father-in-law, John, and I travelled up to Dubbo from Melbourne on the Friday before the Golden Oldies show. It was my first time driving in that part of the world so an excellent road trip was had. We arrived in the late afternoon and after checking into the hotel we wandered down to the showgrounds to see what had turned up and watch the new arrivals through the gate.

The photos below are from that Friday evening shoot. Over the entire weekend I took more than 400 photos. I am only posting the best ones (I'm pretty critical of my photos) so if you don't see a truck that you know was there please just ask if I managed to shoot it. If I did, I'll post it.

Above: the Knights' Diamond T parked up prior to giving its GM a "sound check" for Graham McKie! I think this is close to the first photo I took for the weekend. I've been getting returns from the Knights' email address. Anyone know them? Below: a very nice 1922 Model T tanker parked around the back of the unloading area.

Above: Bernt Damm's Merc 1924 in fine light. She sounded pretty good too. The Knight DT is in the background no doubt waiting for a clear run for the McKie camera! Below: this Dodge arrived earlier and really looked the part in her working clothes.

Above: this Bedford KM was powered, from memory, by a GM 6-71 and the owner had plans to put a 12-cylinder GM in her! For some reason I remember his name as Percy? Below: I really have no idea what this is. I'm thinking International but am happy to be corrected.

Above: Peter and Andrew Marquet picked up their new Leyland Comet on the way down to the show in their Autocar. I'll post the entire combination later but couldn't resist this semi-sunset shot.

4 comments:

  1. Andy,

    That Bedford KM was indeed powered by a Detroit 6-71! I have an engine shot which has a label on which is written Detroit Diesel 71 Series! Will send it to you for addition into the second part of the show review!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe, I've got a pic of the engine too which I'll be putting up eventually.

    ReplyDelete