Monday, February 23, 2009

Speaking of Fodens...magnificent refueler


Since we're on the subject, I've had this magnificent photo from the world's luckiest truck hunter, Jonathan Pye, in reserve for several months now. JP came to Australia from the UK in 1991 for a lengthy holiday. In the process, he managed to turn up some remarkable old trucks still working for a living (and some that had been ridden hard and put away wet!). This Foden is just one of his finds and, like the others, you have to wonder where it is now. Surely something as cool as this still survives? JP continues:

I saw this one still in service at Merimbula Airport, New South Wales, in February 1991. Apparently, she started off life at London Heathrow Airport in the early 1950s before heading to Australia (for 10 pounds I wonder?). Merimbula was the first smallish airport I stopped off at just to see what refuellers they might have! My jaw dropped several feet when I saw the Foden going about her business around and between the aircraft (fueled by the same kerosene she supplied to the aircraft). Of course I was convinced there must be other similar gems at other airfields and I went miles out of my way on several occasions hoping to catch another one in use. It was only much later on my trip when I talked to a BP Australia engineer who informed me that "The one in Merimbula was the last one in Australia in use!" Happy memories of beginners luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment