Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Macungie 2010

It's been a bit British truck focussed since I resurrected the blog so thought it was time to rectify that by going all-American. Macungie, Pennsylvania is well-known for its Mack factory but also hosts the annual convention for the Antique Truck Club of America. As to be expected a lot of Macks attend and to say the models present span more than 90 years is certainly no understatement. Here, thanks to long-time ACC supporter Jeff Lakaszcyck, is a small but good dose of some of the best gear you can find in the States. I like to keep up with the US scene but most of these trucks were new to me (or at least the current paint schemes were). Thanks to Jeff for the photos and his supporting captions.


I think this is the oldest truck to ever feature on ACC - a 1917 Duplex 4x4 dump owned by Donald Barlup.

One of my favourite trucks of all time. This is a Mack 1931 AK-6 (the AK was the shaft or belt-driven version of the chain-drive AC - wish I could remember which!) owned by well-known Mack collector Gary Mahan.

At the lighter end of the scale was Ritchie Pasquarella's 1936 Dodge MC panel.

One for you Inter nuts. It's a toss-up as to whether the D-series or the KB-6 is the best looking IH, I reckon. With that lovely long nose I'd have to say the D. This is Erv Bickford's stunning product of 1939. There's something about the smaller pre and immediate post-war prime movers/tractors that just looks right (even without a trailer).

I have a serious soft spot for Macks from the '30s and '40s and this stunning combination is no exception. Greg Nuss has hooked his 1939 BX to a 1938 Mack trailer (didn't know they made trailers as well) which is loaded with a 1938 Caterpillar D17000 diesel.

Besides LAD-cabbed Leylands and Albions, it is the Mack E-model that stops me in my tracks. I have seen a couple in Australia but nowhere near enough. If anyone knows of any around, please let me know. I promise not to drool ... too much. Oh, Jeff's photo is of Henry Greiner's 1947 EH. Magic.

From the best-looking Mack to the best-looking Acar. Robert King's 1951 DC102 is perfect in its understated finish (as understated as an orange chassis can be). A stunning machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment